We offer free shipping on all orders of $50 or more, and a moderate flat-rate shipping fee for orders under $50. This applies to all orders shipping within the continental United States and also includes Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. See below for information on International shipping.
- There is a set shipping charge shown at checkout (after your shipping address is recognized) for all orders under $50, regardless of the order’s size or value. This charge is non-negotiable.
- If you have placed an order and want to add to it, please place a second separate order. If the first order has not already been boxed up, we will combine the two orders into one shipment. If there is a shipping charge for either order because it is less than $50, that charge will be removed if the two ‘combined’ orders exceed $50 (the charge is removed during final processing, when the order actually ships). If the orders cannot be combined for any reason, then applicable shipping charges will be collected.
- We charge ‘actual shipping’ (what the carrier charges us) if you have negotiated for and have received a wholesale quantity discount.
- We charge ‘actual shipping’ (what the carrier charges us) if you send us wood to be serviced.
- See the Expedited and Hazardous / Dangerous Materials sections below for related charges.
- If you prefer a different carrier than those with whom we have negotiated discounts (FedEx and USPS at this time), we will charge you the actual freight costs incurred. In this case, there is no free shipping on orders over $50.00 and the shipping rate might be unusually expensive.
Expedited shipping is available in the contiguous United States. 3-day service adds $15.00 to your order, 2-day service costs an extra $25.00. We are unable to expedite oversized items unless you phone us and make special arrangements. – actual charges apply.
If your expedited order is placed before 12:00 PST (3:00 pm EST), it will ship the same day. Of course, this does not include serviced items and special requests, or the exceptions mentioned below in Shipping Restrictions. The term “days” in our policy always refers to business days – Monday through Friday, holidays excluded.
Overnight shipment within the United States is available if the order does not include customizations and if it is placed before noon Pacific time, however, we will not have time to prepare and provide a quote or estimate beforehand. You are obligated to pay the amount charged to us by FedEx. We do not add a handling fee and do not profit on this service. Please call to place the order as this service does not exist on our website. It can be expensive, as much as $40 for the smallest package in some cases, and increasing substantially, based on the weight and size of the package. As always, these time estimates (overnight, 2-day, etc) do NOT include weekends or holidays. For example, if an overnight package is shipped on Friday, it will arrive on the following Monday.
Here are some examples of transit times using our expedited shipping:
- A “1-day” (or “overnight”) order, if it ships on Monday, will arrive on Tuesday.
- A “2-day” that ships on Monday will arrive on Wednesday.
- A “3-day” that ships on Monday will arrive on Thursday.
If an item is flagged to ship either USA Only or USA Contiguous States Only, it may not be exported outside the United States, typically either because it is subject to CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) or USFWS (U.S. Fish and Wildlife) regulations or due to its dangerous nature. Dangerous goods requiring ground transport cannot be expedited. Oversized items cannot be expedited unless you call to make arrangements for this in which case you will be charged actual freight.
Hazardous and Dangerous Materials Shipping Fees
By law, items with a must conform to federal hazardous material regulations when shipped. All carriers who are certified to handle Hazardous Materials (such as FedEx) charge a fee to handle HAZMAT packages, so we must add this to your shipping charge. We do not keep any of this fee. We only ship HAZMAT items with FedEx. There is one HAZMAT fee per package, so it may be in your interest to consolidate your purchase of Ivoroid and Tortoise products as much as possible.
SIGNATURE REQUIRED: A signature is required for all HAZMAT packages upon delivery, so be sure you have your package shipped to an address where someone is available during normal business hours.
All orders that we ship in the USA are insured, but in some cases, it will take several weeks to complete a claim for you.
Please see the Returns page to learn about how to get a return authorization number (RMA) from LMI. If a package is returned by the carrier without an RMA or other permission from LMI (refused by the recipient, carrier unable to get a signature or customs/import fees are not paid, etc.) then you will be charged for the return shipping. These charges normally far exceed the original shipping charge. We will refund you for the returned merchandise when it arrives here, but we will not refund your original shipping charge.
International shipping costs are based primarily on the weight and size of the package (not the cost of the order). Add the items to your shopping cart. The website will give you an accurate quote with several options before you complete the order.
The carrier, the type of service you choose, and the shipping address, all have an effect on the shipping cost.
Please note that USAIR (least expensive) shipping transit times can sometimes be lengthy. Tracking for USAIR packages falls short of what is provided by Global Priority Mail service or FedEx. In the very rare cases where an order is lost, it can sometimes take several weeks or longer before we can issue a refund or replacement.
When checking out, If you only see the ‘pick up in-store’ (will-call) option shown (and no mail or FedEx options appear), it means you must remove any restricted items from your cart. These items (typically either shell, hazardous/dangerous goods, or CITES regulated species) are clearly indicated as such on the product page where the item is ordered.
If you are using a freight forwarder, we are not responsible for any damage that happens to your package in transit to your address.
International Taxes/Import Duties
The charges for your country’s taxes or import duties are not included in your payment to us for your purchase or shipping. These costs, if any, are your additional responsibility. It is your obligation to understand your country’s customs and import rules and restrictions. If a package is returned to us because you are unable to pay for customs clearance and taxes, or otherwise clear a package through customs, or if you refuse delivery, you will be charged for the return shipping charges and for any other charges accrued as a result. These charges can be substantial. Reimbursement for merchandise will occur only after it is returned to Luthiers Mercantile.
All international deliveries require a signature for receipt of the package.